Submit your best work for Drawing Works 2020! Get drawn into the world of diverse mark making with this annual exhibition opportunity. Best in show winner will receive a $1,000 cash prize, and $500 prizes are available in other categories. Undergraduate students from all SCAD locations and majors are eligible.
Submission Period: November 1, 2019 – January 19, 2020
Notification of acceptance: February 1, 2020
Exhibition: February 28 – March 15, 2020, Alexander Hall Gallery
Reception: Friday, February 28, 2020, 6:00-7:30pm, Alexander Hall Gallery
Email foundations studies professor Ron Longsdorf at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
BEST IN SHOW ($1000.00 prize): Awarded to outstanding and inventive contemporary aesthetic, conceptual qualities, composition and media techniques, fully expresses the unique attributes of drawing.
PROCESS AWARD ($500.00 prize): demonstrates exploration into concept and composition using preparatory sketch methods to inform and support research and development processes. ($500.00 prize)
EXPLORATIVE Play AWARD ($500.00 prize): creativity experimenting with traditional and/or nontraditional drawing media, expressive mark making, and gestural approaches. ($500.00 prize)
COMPOSITION AWARD ($500.00 prize): displays exemplary drawing abilities in the production of a fully realized finished work.
· Must be a current undergraduate student enrolled in any major/minor at any SCAD location.
· Works must be created anytime during enrollment at SCAD.
· Submit 1 - 3 images by 11:59pm, Sunday, January 19, 2020. More than 3 will not be considered.
· Jury is seeking drawings and sketches, using any combination of analog, digital and/ or unconventional drawing methods. Diverse drawing practices are encouraged, showing traditional and unconventional use of media, experimentation, aesthetic expressions, styles and formats, including but not limited to: sketchbooks, drawings intended for digital display, illustrations, fine art drawings, storyboards, prints, conceptual and process sketches and technical working drawings and 3D drawings.
How to enter
1. Upload quality digital images through Submittable. Include the following information: full name, SCAD email address, phone number, SCAD location, and major/minor.
2. Upload 1 – 3 works for consideration with the following information:
- Title of work
- Dimensions (2D works: H x W or 3D works H x W x D)
- Artist Price
- Is this work intended for digital display? If yes, explain.
3. Complete the survey questions:
- Are you a drawing minor?
- Do you want someone to contact you about becoming a drawing minor?
- How did you hear about this opportunity?
If your work is accepted for exhibition, you must abide by the following requirements and timeline:
- Deliver framed accepted physical works to SCAD Exhibition Storage Monday, February 17 – Friday, February 21. Email Michael Runnels at email@example.com to schedule drop off/delivery. Email accepted digital works to Ben Tollefson at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 21.
- All accepted physical drawings or digital prints must be professionally framed and ready to hang prior to drop off/delivery to Exhibition Storage. SCAD Frame shop offers a discount to works accepted in Drawing Works 2019, contact Nanette Troiani at email@example.com if you wish to use SCAD Frame Shop. Students are responsible for framing of accepted work.
- Digital prints must be high quality and color corrected from RGB to CMYK.
- Digital works will be displayed on a LCD screen and must be formatted for optimal viewing.
- If actual work differs from submitted images, it may be rejected from exhibition.
- Accepted works from Hong Kong must be displayed digitally. Accepted works from Atlanta have the option to display digital or shipped to Savannah.
- Deliver or ship ready-to-hang framed work to SCAD Exhibition Storage, Attn: Michael Runnels, Registrar, 102 E. Lathrop Ave., Savannah, GA 31415.
- When the exhibition ends, email Michael Runnels at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule return or pick up of work from 102 E. Lathrop Ave., Savannah, GA, March 23-April 3, 2020. SCAD Exhibitions is not responsible for storage of work if not picked up by end of Spring Quarter (May 28, 2020).